Thursday, September 9, 2010

Part I

The Homestead -- Built 1766
We spent our 10th Anniversary in this spectacular building. 

Ornamental Carriage

The Jefferson Pools
Near the Homestead, this structure was built by Thomas Jefferson around the natural hot mineral springs that bubble up here from deep inside the earth.  People have been floating around in these pools for 200 years, hoping to catch a bit of health. 

Virginia Road
Just a typical Virginia road.  What is NOT typical is the gigantic waterfall we stopped to look at on the side of this road.  We stopped here for a minute on our way to a Brad Paisley concert in West Virginia.





Part II

After celebrating our anniversary, we headed to Chris' parents for 8 days at their 80 acre property in Virginia.  It felt so good to be reunited with our precious dog, Tigger, who is staying in Virginia while we're in Switzerland.  We miss him SO MUCH!!!

Chris, Tigger and Taylore
We enjoyed being reuinted with our nieces and nephews as well as Tigger.

Me and Alexis

My brother, Brady (15 years old) tagged along on this portion of the trip and made himself useful alongside everyone else.  Building the house, barn, shop and maple sugar house is an ongoing family project. 

Quite often, I make myself useful by painting murals in the house instead of getting involved with construction.

Brady
On this trip we did make time for play. 

Brady and Rachel
The glazed over look Brady is wearing is fitting.  This particular game of Settlers of Catan was probably our 14th or 15th game of the week.  Literally. 

Chris and Alexis
She finally decided he wasn't scary after a week of being unsure.  Here she's waking up from a nap while Chris is playing Settlers.



Part III

Our final destination was my parents house in Front Royal, Virginia, where most of my sisters and brothers still live.  Our trip was fun so far, but we arrived tired.  I think that accounts for why I didn't take ANY photos during our 8 days with my parents.  I was in relaxing mode and recording our time completely slipped my mind.  Kellie's face matches the way I feel about forgetting to take pictures.  Fortunately, Mom took pictures while we "kids" played in the water park.




3 comments:

Grace McHugh said...

I laughed so hard at the look on Kelly's face! That is a keeper! Love the picture of Chris holding Alexis. It made me all teary. And.............if you ever come to visit us again, I know a little girl who would LOVE a horse scene painted in her room. Glad you were able to come home and relax.

Grace McHugh said...

Okay I am still giggling at the hot springs house..............just about your comment that people have been floating around in them for 200 hundred years hoping to catch a bit of health..................um, I think it is way too late for that. :) Giggling, giggling........love you Kara.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing those photos, Kara. I'm glad your mom took a few while you were there.

Post a Comment