Wednesday, September 1, 2010



There is so much more to see and do in London. For one thing, I intend to go back to the National Gallery.
WITHOUT Chris. He just couldn't appreciate it and I don't blame him. It's not his thing. He endured it for a while for my sake.

I stood in front of a Renoir original and I got really emotional. I wasn't expecting that.  I like Renoir, but he's not my all time favorite and I didn't realize I could be so emotional about art.  I usually look at it as a job.  It's what I get paid to do.  But standing in front of a Renoir original, I realized I was as close as I'll ever be to one of my childhood tutors.  I learned to paint by renting big Renoir coffee table books from the library and copying his and other artists famous works.  Why did I feel a strong connection to him more than the others in that moment?  I have no idea.  It's an experience I will never forget.

Below is a photo of a postcard of the original Renoir I saw in the London National gallery.




I think Monet is my Mom's favorite artist so I bought a Monet souvenir magnet for her.  It was my Mom who fanned the flame of my artistic pursuits, so it seems fitting to buy her something from the National Gallery.


Speaking of paintings, the one I told you I was working on is finished and has been shipped to the owner.

Here's the finished project before it was framed...


The movie, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, comes out in theaters this December.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Renoir has a light touch. I feel like I'm in a universe drenched by rain whenever I see one of his paintings. There's an overall feeling of easiness about him that must have been very hard to create. In contrast to your Renoir experience, I will be seeing an Edvard Munch display at the National Gallery in D.C. tomorrow. He is best known for his painting, "The Scream". Lovely, right?

Meredith Breckenridge said...

I had a similar experience a few years ago in Paris while looking at a Monet. It's a truly incredible moment! :) I'm so glad you guys got to go to London!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Debi - The Romantic Vineyard said...

I had a similar experience in The Louvre in Paris. Our docent was showing us in a matter of fact way a painting of Christ. It was a head shot of him hanging on the Cross with His crown of thorns. It affected me so much I started crying. Our docent - a sweet Parisian lady - looked at me and said to the group, "She gets it! It's beautiful, no?" It was beautiful, but not in the way she thought I was thinking. The passion on Christ's face captured by this artist was amazing. Here's a link to the painting...
http://www.louvre.fr/llv/oeuvres/detail_notice.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=10134198673225173&CURRENT_LLV_NOTICE%3C%3Ecnt_id=10134198673225173&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=9852723696500816&baseIndex=108&bmLocale=en

Post a Comment