Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I've been trotting the globe for over a month now, but I'm back in Geneva and we can finally sit here and have a proper chat.  As we talk, a bee occasionally flies around my head.  Our windows don't have screens, so every creature that flies feels welcome in my apartment during summer.  I like it and I don't like it.  Occasionally I find bird poop on a table.  I'm not sure whether to be bothered by the bird poop or charmed that a bird was in my apartment.

Since my last post we've celebrated our 10th Anniversary at a Resort in Virginia, spent nearly 3 weeks at home visiting his family and my family and we've played the tourist in London.  London is freshest in my mind because we were in London only 2 days ago, so lets work backwards and talk about London first.....


I had favorite things in London and Chris had favorite things, but if Chris and I had to pick a favorite experience in London that we both agreed was the best, it would probably be riding on top of the double decker buses, the ones designated for tourists. You pay 35 pounds for one day riding access. You hop on and off at your leisure for 24 hours and you put these ear plugs in listen to the recording describing London history and each landmark as it passes by. Because of this, we feel we saw everything, even though we didn't have time for exploring each site in depth in the 3 days we were there.



The following is a little movie I made for you of our time in London.....



We saw and did many touristy things... the National Gallery, Buckingham Palace, Harrods, The Tower Bridge, St. Paul's Cathedral... but I think our fondest memory, when we look back on this trip, will be the fun we had exploring and just being together.  Running through the rain to the safety of a coffee shop, drinking a beer or two at a Pub and laughing more than usual afterwards on the way to Buckingham Palace, and even fussing at eachother about nothing when we were tired, hungery or needed to pee.

If you ever go to London, DON'T spend money on "Churchill's War Experience." Our first clue should have been that it was not listed as one of the 50 things to see on the bus route. It smelled bad and was more like a haunted house than anything else. So cheesy.


I think Buckingham Palace was Chris' favorite, I'm not sure.  But for me, it was a big deal to buy tea from Harrods. 


It also made me happy to light a candle inside St. Paul's Cathedral.

I'm hard pressed to decide which I liked better: the National Gallery, or getting my very own Paddington Bear from Paddington Station.  I'll talk about the National Gallery in a separate post, but here is Paddington Bear...



Did everyone read the Paddington Bear Books as a child?  Well, I'm 32 years old and I'm not ashamed to say I still haven't outgrown Paddington.  Having a stuffed Paddington Bear from the REAL Paddington Station is truly a highlight of my trip, far above seeing Big Ben and all the other typical stuff.  I'm in love with the little bear now perched on my bedside table.

2 comments:

Kellie said...

ooooh! Paddington Bear! I haven't thought about him in forever. <3

And you make me laugh when you talk about bird poop on your table. Maybe you should start singing out the window like Giselle from Enchanted. Then you'll have all kinds of "charming" little critters to join you.

Grace McHugh said...

I still melt over those bears. :)

Post a Comment