Tuesday, December 8, 2009

It's a wonder what proper sleep and sunshine can do for the human spirit.

Today the sun came out and I was ready to explore the city. It's my job to accomplish the majority of research needed to pick a place for us to live. Trusty map in hand and notations from the cheerful man yesterday in Human Resources, I started out using the public transport system, but soon abandoned the tram for a slower pace with my feet, which allowed me to fully absorb everything passing by. It also allowed for deviation, backtracking, and stopping at unexpected places.

The most delightful and unexpected surprise is the presence of swans at the mouth of Lake Geneva.

Several swans allowed me to sit only three feet away from them.






I sat, snapped pictures, closed my eyes for a minute in the sun and drank in the restoration I always experience as I watch the play of sunlight on water.
My diamonds.
This is what I've always called them.
They are as beautiful and peaceful in Geneva, Switzerland as they are in Sandestin, Florida and Front Royal, Virginia.

I now have another reason to love a moment in the sun. When I sit in the sun at 2pm in Geneva, my Mother and Grandmother, and many of you, can sit in the same sun at 8am on the East Coast of the United States.


I reluctantly left the water and swans to continue my journey. I will return to this spot many times during my stay in Geneva. My confidence in this pending move has renewed. If I have the diamonds on the water, I will be fine. Perhaps my confidence should rest on something more stable than a cloudless day and my ability to walk down to the water. But it's what God provided for today. A rainy day will come and He'll provide a cup of something hot to drink and a warm blanket. And when all else fails, there's always the song He put in my heart.
Walking down the street and away from the swans, I had to take a picture of this tree for you. Surely it's distinctive to this region. I've never seen the like of it anywhere. It's a classic example of the curious and unfamiliar to this American girl. It's unique shape is laid bare at this time of year with no leaves. I look forward to Spring. I anticipate that leaves will be more flattering to it's figure.








I appreciate the difference between the Geneva cityline and a typical U.S. cityline. Some may notice uniformity. Some may value variety over uniformity. In the case of a cityline, my judgement remains neutral. I appreciate both. What I especially love about the Geneva cityline is that the majority of buildings are 7 or 8 stories high. I haven't seen a taller building yet. Some shorter, but none taller. There are variations in decorative architecture from building to building and variations from window box to window box, but the basic frame of most buildings is similar. The only buildings that stand out above the rest are church steeples. I'll admire a church steeple over a skyscraper any day. But that's just me.

This church steeple photo is taken from my hotel bedroom window.
I love the strength of these buildings. They are made of stone and very OLD..... hundreds of years old. Our hotel is renovated with modern fixings, but the basic shell is over 150 years old. I asked at the front desk because the tell tale smell is faithful every time I choose the stairs instead of the elevator. Old stone is exposed in the spiral stairwell. If these walls could talk...

Towards the end of my day outdoors, I looked off into the distance at the Swiss and French Alps with longing and wondered what adventures await me there. Just how many months and days will it be til I find myself on those familiar skis, traversing taller mountains than ever before.









And now I am cozy in my bed, under a big, white, feather comforter. I returned at 5pm as darkenss fell early. Four hours of non-stop walking and there's no more walking available from my feet today. I haven't eaten much since breakfast since few places along my route accept credit cards. Tomorrow I'll have to bring cash. It's 8:30pm and I'm waiting for my beloved to return so we can eat something together. Yes, we had traditional Swiss Fondue at a warm and lovely place last night. I'm getting used to the farm fresh taste in all the cheese here. It's good, but I'm still getting used to it.

There are promising locations for renting a flat. Details will follow in a later post.

Until next time...

Bonne Nuit!







4 comments:

Grace McHugh said...

I am reveling in your words!!! Oh the lure of those distant mountains. "I will lift up mine eyes........" I love the swans. A lesson on swans. All that beauty hides such meanness. Did you know that? Maybe the saying "beauty is only skin deep" started with the swans. I am so thrilled that today brought a smile on your face and a song in your heart. Love you niece. :)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are already adapting to what may become your new home; whether that's for a season or several season, I guess we really don't know yet.

Meryl Streep has a wonderful piece of wisdom that appeared in VF magazine this month: "You never know what you're going to do until you do it." To some extent, I think that's very true. We really can't anticipate the moment-by-moment movements of the Holy Spirit, and it's only when we arrive in that moment that we really know what it's going to be like. We plan, we plan, we plan, but God is utterly beyond us. :) If I can be so bold as to offer you advice, I would suggest that you keep taking it day by day, enjoying each wonderful moment, floating like a swan on the current of your destiny with an open heart to new possibilities.

Anonymous said...

Post on, my dear! I'm traveling with you in my heart! Thank you for sharing your journey with us! Love you bunches and can't wait to see more pictures.

Tracy said...

Kara, I am again amazed at your articulation in the writing. You make me feel like I am reading a good book or watching a classic movie like, little women or you've got mail. :) I miss you and I am so glad you have found your sense of adventure and acceptance of moving again. I am sure God will teach you guys so much about yourself and him while on this Swiis adventure!!

Post a Comment