Monday, December 7, 2009

So I am here. After 5 weeks that felt like 5 months, I arrived in Geneva, Switzerland to begin my new life here. I currently live in Orlando, Florida, and desperately desire to move closer to family in Virginia. Nine years ago I married my high school flame, moved hundreds of miles away from family to marry him and have spent the last 9 years planning to return to the mid-Atlantic states to live close to family. Instead, I'm moving further away than I've ever been, across the ocean, to another country and culture. I've never even visited Europe!

So, I am here for one week to make preparations for our permenant move in January.

I've been beside myself with excitement these last 5 weeks, ever since my husband learned that he is losing his current job and a job might be available within the company at headquarters in Geneva. Excitement at the prospect of adventure. This is the story of my life that I embrace large adventures only to be met with more challenges than I foresaw.

The flight over here was a ride from hell. I expected certain standards to be standard when you are couped up on a plane for 8 hours in the middle of the night, even in the economy class. Small, hard, painful seats that don't recline were not what I expected. OK, they reclined, but by about 5 inches of difference from sitting bolt upright. The right was bumpy. I was nauseated the entire 8 hours. I was also unprepared for jet lag. I thought I was a pro, because I stayed up all night with my mother during the labor and delivery of my last 3 brothers and sisters. Lose a night of sleep? No problem. Jet lag is quite another level of trauma altogether.

I only agreed to this adventure on the promise of several trips back to the states to visit family each year. I'm no longer looking forward to those trips. I feel trapped on the other side of the ocean by 8 hours of misery. I am face to face with the reality of the comfortable life I have lived until now. I've been tested and it has been revealed just what a wimp I am.

I awoke in the middle of the night and told God that I needed new reasons to move to Switzerland. Adventure and fun are no longer sufficient. I need to know that this move is EXACLY what He wants me to do. That it will be good for me. That it serves His greater plan for the universe and His Kingdom. I'm now on the lookout for those reasons. I'll keep you posted.

Yesterday the strangeness and unfamiliarity of my surroundings was overwhelming on my first day here. Not to mention the non-stop rain of December and the many people who don't speak English and the European architechture. The very things I looked forward to with eagerness. The unfamiliar is exciting and full of adventure one day, frightening and cold the next day.

Today I am improving. The fun is returning. My very first friend in Geneva, Switzerland is a small young man who oversees the breakfast room each morning at my hotel. He is short and slender with strawberry blond hair and buzzes around the room as though he's short on time even though there is no one else but me in the diningroom. He reminds me of a wasp until he lands for a few minutes to converse when I ask a question. He's full of helpful, friendly information, and then he's off again as soon as I appear to be more interested in my breakfast.

The bread here is delicious. Perfect blend of soft and crispy.

Now I am off to continue my exploration.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kara - You're off to a great start on blogging!! I love your transparency, your vulnerability and the way you describe every detail. I feel as if I'm there with you watching this "little wasp" of a man buzz around the room! I'm praying your day will be much better today! God is with you even in your struggle!

Grace McHugh said...

Hang in there Kara. It is an adventure. You need to embrace all things, uncomfortable and unfamiliar as well. Expect the unexpected and enjoy it. Laugh and smile and things will be fine. Love you.

Erin said...

Hey, you may be a writer. Ever given any thought to writing a book?

On a different note...HOW EXCITING! Yes, I am still jealous but I am so excited for you. Do you have a camera? Post pictures...LOTS of the!

Tracy said...

Kara, you are an amazing writer. You make it so fun and easy to read. I am SO SORRY I missed your call before you left. We'll have to hang out when you come back. I will be praying for you. Remember God has a perfect plan for you and Chris and HE is with you every step of the way. Just another way you can learn to trust in God with everything! :)

Unknown said...

Hey girl! How exciting for you guys! I'm so jealous, what a great place to live. What an amazing adventure you're on!
Yeah, jetlag's unbelievably exhausting. You'll probably eventually grow more accustomed to it. Hopefully:).
Looking forward to your upcoming posts!

Anonymous said...

Hey Baby Duck! Yay! I am so glad you are blogging. I hardly ever do it. But I'm so glad I can come here and read your adventure! Everyone is right, you know. You are a great blogger, a success on your first time. You type exactly how you talk and I love it :) Maybe it will help me when I'm missing you across the ocean. I love you!!

Pattie said...

Hi sweetie!
This blog idea is wonderful! It meets the mom-wants-to-hear-details need quite nicely. :)
Thankful to hear you are safe, even if a bit frayed at the edges. Remember our "ants at the picnic." Praying for you and Chris in your bonaventure. "He encircled him. He cared for him, He guarded him as the apple of His eye." deuteronomy 32:10
Hugs,
Mom

Anonymous said...

This blog is very entertaining, especially since you have a good outlook even when it comes to the annoyances. I hope the excitement picks up and that the rough edges will be smoothed out as time goes on. And next time, fly Virgin Atlantic.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kara! I had no idea you were moving to Switzerland. The past 3 mos. we've become friends w/ a Swiss couple who are housesitting for neighbors. It's been a great boost for my German. We even played the Switzerland Train Game w/ them:)
I hope the bit of French I taught you years ago will come in handy...just walk outside your hotel and say to someone, "Touchez le nez!" See what they do:)
I'll be praying for you, and I'm excited for you.
Love, Ginger

Tammy said...

Hi Kara,

I'm glad you are blogging. It's such a great way to keep everyone informed! I pray that this season is one of adventure but also a time to remember and reflect on God's goodness in your life. I'm looking forward to keeping in touch this way.
Love,
Tammy

Anonymous said...

Praying for you! The blog, like others have said, is a great idea.

Thinking about you lots!

Love,

Jaime

Unknown said...

Your blog was very entertaining. I'm sorry you had such a bad flight, but all of your trips won't be as bad I'm sure. I think this part of your life can be very exciting, even tho some of the experiences may be a little hard. You should definitely keep a record of your experiences. Your descriptions are very good. Love, Grandma

Sarah C said...

Hey there girl, I strongly suggest drugs for long flights :o) Pass out with some anti-nausea and pro-sleep meds.....can't wait to hear the rest of the adventure.

Unknown said...

I agree with the others; you're an excellent writer! Is there anything you're not good at? :-) The balance of honesty and faith is inspiring, Kara. You are in the "counting the costs" phase of this decision (not usually the "fun" part when reality sets in) and God will faithfully speak to you and Chris. Julia and I will miss you Wednesday but we look forward to seeing you next week!

Love,
Sheree

Anonymous said...

Great blog, Kara. I'm putting it at the top of my links bar and will check in often. I even think I'll try to overcome the learning curve on RSS feeds for this one. And though I hope you will post pictures sometimes, your writing is rich enough to stand alone.
-Anne Turner

Unknown said...

Wow - Switzerland! What an exciting time for you and Chris. I am thrilled to hear more about your adventures. I wish you the best this week and pray that you find the perfect place to settle for awhile. Let's chat when you're back in the states. Lots of love to you!
Jocelyn

Debra Austin said...

Thanks for including me so I can read your blog....WOW! what a whirlwind of an adventure! The Lord will be faithful even when you feel jet lagged! :) Praying for you!

Ken G said...

Did Chris come with you?

Kellie said...

i am so glad you have the silver lining of the precise kind of bread you love

Post a Comment