Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Two whole weeks have passed since my last post.  Why haven't I written?  So much has happened in the last two weeks.  I've made new friends, I've been on a sight seeing tour, and I've plunged into my art career with zest and energy.  Chris and I have settled into the daily routine of life and we love our new life in Switzerland.  It's every bit as exciting and full of adventure as I hoped.  There's so much to see and do here and I don't want to miss a thing.

I haven't yet been inspired to share with you more of the obvious... living in a new country is exciting.  I'm willing for you to continue this journey with me and see all the excitement, so long as you have a true picture of reality.

We all have our demons, the sorrows that haunt us and the battles we fight in our heart.  I didn't shirk mine when I sailed away to Switzerland.  Mine didn't need a ticket to get here on a plane and they didn't need a stamp to pass through customs. 

I didn't come here to run away from my problems.  That wasn't the goal.  I face problems.  I don't run from them.  But when I got here and everything was so exciting, I did experience the hope that the dark days I experienced in the U.S. wouldn't come and rob my joy here in Switzerland.  It's easy to take your homeland for granted and not fight very hard when gloomy days enter your heart.  I didn't feel I was missing much.  But in a new country, it's obvious that there's so much to do and so much to see and our time here is limited.  I don't want to miss the good stuff while being weighed down by the bad stuff.  The temptation is just as strong in Switzerland as it is in the U.S.  When I get back to the U.S. I won't take it for granted as often as I did before.

What feuls my dark days?  Use your imagination.  What feuls your dark days?  Usually it's silly stuff.  Like my husband is leaving me here in a foreign country to go on a business trip for 4 days and I dread the lonely nights. 

You men might relate to this next one...  on Friday, Chris' computer crashed and it put him in a sour mood all day Saturday.

Most of us have a least one or two big sorrows.  Griefs that we rate as more worthy by the standards we've created.  For me it's 9 years of infertility. 

Yep, when I started this blog, I didn't think I was going to mention this subject, but there it is... an uncomfortable topic for all of us. 

If I didn't name it, you wouldn't believe me if I told you I have sorrows that rate as high as yours.  To borrow a concept from a recent Chris Rice song, life has clearly given me lemonade in almost every way.  So why do we spend a day or two here and there fixating on the one or two lemons?  Is it our inate longing for the past perfection of the Garden of Eden, and our hope and yearning for a future perfection in Eternity with God?  I hope so.  This sure puts us in a better light than to say we're just a bunch of ungrateful people, ungrateful for all the good stuff and never satisfied.

How much grieving is healthy?  This is a question I haven't answered yet. 

There is a time to weep and a time to laugh; A time to mourn and a time to dance.  - Ecclesiastes

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. - Matthew

Jesus wept with Mary and Martha.

But I don't like to mourn.  I like to dance.  So when is it time to mourn and when is it time to dance?  When does mourning become unfruitful wallowing?

Half of Isaiah is filled with the delight God takes in turning our mourning into dancing.  Those who are willing can be like a well watered garden in a sun scorched (barren) land.

So when do we mourn and when do we dance?  I don't think there is a simple answer to this question.  It probably goes back to my post in December entitled Immanuel.  Those who are listening for His direction, will know what time it is. 

Shhhhhh.  I'm trying to listen.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every time I read a post I am again amazed at how wonderful you write. Thanks for doing this.

I love you, am praying for you, and can't wait to talk to you tomorrow!

Jaime

The Crowsons said...

I LOVE your posts and updates (I do wish they came more often!! :) Know that you are always in our thoughts and prayers and we earnestly pray that God will grant you the desires of your heart! I think this new adventure is just what you needed to refresh your mind, body and soul!

Love and hugs!!

Kellie said...

This says it all so well. I have the exact same feeling sometimes, wondering why I so often wish for more when my life is already beautiful and filled with good things as it is. Why do I focus on my loneliness as a single woman, for instance, when I know God has seen fit to give me this singleness as a unique freedom to serve Him in ways that my heart loves? I think you are right that sometimes, we are appropriately desiring heaven, and other times, we really could just use an extra dose of thankfulness. From the heart flows bitterness and sweetness. So anyways, I am wishing for heaven with you, and crying with you, and laughing too. I think when we turn to Him with honesty about however we are feeling, He will guide us to the perspective that is His own.

Debi (The Romantic Vineyard) said...

I agree with Kellie - we can trust that God is leading us to His perspective. That is, as long as we're listening! I respect, Kara, your need for the world, and our sinful cravings, to quiet down in order for us to listen to the only One who matters. Love this post! I pray your mourning will turn in to much dancing!

Grace McHugh said...

Oh my dear Kara. I am reading a book by Sally Clarkson called "Dancing with My Father." It is how God leads us into a life of grace and joy...........if we will surrender and allow Him. He does allow those dark times to have us give ourselves up to Him and when those days of dancing come again, how much more will we dance? And remember the sweetness of his grace? I just read where it said "I would be happy if..........." Well, fill in the blank with any of our past wants or desires and did that truly make us happy? Nope. It left us hollow and wanting something more. I love your musings and how you seek Him. "His grace is enough, His grace is enough for me." Love you niece.

Post a Comment